Finding a new job can be difficult, but a well-written cover letter can be just what you need to snag the spot you want. If you need some guidance for making your job application stand out, then check out our film crew cover letter example and must-have list of writing dos and don’ts.
- Do be creative if it fits with the industry. The jobseeker in our example is seeking work in the film industry, so it was a smart move for her to choose a modern and artistic layout for her cover letter.
- Don’t forget to be yourself. Employers want to hear from real people, so infuse your letter with some personality instead of trying to sound robotically professional.
- Do get a feel for the company’s culture before writing. Browse the company website to get an idea for the style you should seek to reproduce in your letter.
- Don’t psych yourself out. Assume that the employers already like you and want to hear all about your strengths. The example jobseeker confidently states her ability to fulfill a variety of film set duties, and employers are likely to be impressed by her self-assurance.
Film Crew Advice
Love movies? Consider landing a job as part of a film crew. To get hired, you’ll need persistence, a demonstrated knowledge of film production, and an excellent cover letter. The film crew cover letter examples below will help show you what film producers are looking for in a crew member. Use these cover letter examples to get started, and build your own impressive letter in just minutes.
Cover Letter Tips for Film Crew
No matter where you find yourself looking for jobs, taking the appropriate actions will help you to land one easier.
1. Ask for help. Remember that there are resources out there to help the unemployed find a job. You can also use your own network to sniff around for potential job opportunities.
2. Be positive. It can be easy to get discouraged if you’ve been job hunting for a while, but if you keep at it, you are likely to find the right job for you.
3. Beef up your cover letter. A cover letter is a critical part of impressing potential employers and getting yourself an interview.
4. If you’re unsure of your goals, take an assessment. There are plenty of assessments available to help you identify your values, skills, and interests.
5. Set up informational interviews. Not only can you learn about companies that interest you, but you may also put yourself on the company’s radar, which is beneficial to you.
Film Crew Job Seeking Tips
Whether you’re looking for jobs as a Film Crew orin any other field, having a stellar cover letter is essential to helping you land that initial job interview. No matter what experience you have or what job you’re pursuing, you should follow these cover letter do’s and don’ts.
1. Don’t write an objective unless you are switching careers. Instead, write a personal summary to let the hiring manager know who you are and what traits you have to offer the company.
2. Don’t emphasize older experience. Focus on what you’ve done recently.
3. Do include only information relevant to the job you’re applying for. If you have a hobby that relates to the job, you should include that, but generally the hiring managers aren’t interested in your favorite pastimes.
4. Do be careful of spelling and grammar mistakes. Any misspellings or typos will communicate apathy or laziness to the hiring manager.
5. Do check out free cover letter builders. These tools can help you craft an outstanding cover letter.
Acting resume sample
View this sample resume for an actor, or download the acting resume template in Word.
Like a movie script, a winning resume tells a compelling story—and you’re the lead actor or lead actress hoping for the role of a lifetime. To be a successful candidate for acting gigs, resume expert Kim Isaacs says it helps to have a superstar resume. To see how you can land the part, view this sample resume for acting that Isaacs created below, or download the acting resume template in Word. And if you need more help, get a free resume evaluation today from the experts at Monster's partner TopResume.
Additionally, you can search for acting jobs on Monster.
Acting resume template
Sometown, CA 55555 | 555-555-5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org | LinkedIn URL | Acting Reel URL
Passionate, bilingual (English/Spanish) drama instructor combining top-rated university teaching performance with substantial professional work in stage, film and television acting. Apply innovative instructional methodologies to propel the talent development and career success of BFA- and MFA-degree-seeking students. Backed by a network of stage and screen contacts and reputation for artistic integrity.
Education & Credentials
ABC University n MFA in Acting
XYZ University n BFA in Musical Theater
Screen Actors Guild (SAG) n Actors’ Equity Association (AEA) n Asociación Nacional de Actores (ANDA)
ABC UNIVERSITY — Sometown, CA | Drama Instructor, College of Performing Arts (Full-time), 2014-Present
DEF UNIVERSITY — Sometown, CA | Adjunct Acting Instructor, School of Theater Arts (Part-time), 2012-2014
XYZ ACADEMY OF DRAMATIC ARTS — Sometown, CA | Adjunct Faculty, Acting (Part-time), 2012-2014
Following success in part-time teaching roles at XYZ Academy and DEF University, offered full-time contract to join the drama faculty at ABC University. Balance theory and practice in providing actor training in areas including improvisation, comedy, on-camera performance and short-form internet content for actors.
- Prepared and followed course syllabuses, evaluated student performance and led instruction for undergraduate and graduate-level courses including:
Acting … Scene Study … Improvisation … Theater History … Musical Theater … Sketch Comedy … Dialects
Meisner Technique … Practical Aesthetics … Voice & Speech … On-Camera Technique … Audition Strategies
- Directed theater and multimedia productions showcasing student talent, including Main Stage productions at ABC University (Oklahoma and Grease) that received rave reviews from the LA Times.
- Coached students to prepare for professional auditions. Helped dozens of students book commercials and win acting roles for Hollywood/independent films, TV dramas/sitcoms and live stage productions.
- Received top marks on performance reviews and student evaluations. Repeatedly recognized for “innovative teaching” and “outstanding instruction” optimizing student success.
Acting Credit Highlights
— Complete List & Reel on Request —
ABC IMPROV TROUPE — Sometown, CA | Cast Member, 2010-2014
Practiced the art of improvisational comedy as a member of critically acclaimed 6-actor ensemble troupe. Named “Best Improv Troupe in LA” (LA Times reader poll) in 2011, 2012 and 2013.
Film & TV Roles 2011-2014:
Paul Weaver (Featured role)
Roadside Attractions Film Studio
José Vidal (Recurring role)
Peter Blanco (Principal role)
Touchstone Pilot for ABC Network
Dance with Destiny
Lifetime TV Network
Guys & Dolls
ABC Theater (12-week run)
West Side Story
DEF Theater (12-week run)
The Glass Menagerie
ABC Theater (6-week run)
The Iceman Cometh
XYZ Theater (6-week run)
Commercial Work (ongoing)
TV and radio commercials booked include on-camera and voiceover work for Gillette, GoPro, Cheerios, Verizon, Corona and other nationally broadcast spots in the U.S. and Mexico.